Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A trek to the Western side


2010.08.23

We decided to pick up the pace a bit and travel to the West side of Newfoundland and Gros Morne National Park.

In the Grand Falls-Windsor area we stopped by the public library to use their Wi-fi. We collected our emails and were amazed at how much of it piles up in a few days. Also, I posted a prepared post to the blog from days ago.

I have to blame Brenda's iPod Touch for being responsible for my tardiness in preparing files for blog posting. I had mentioned to her how when I was in 9th grade, I had read an assigned novel by Rudyard Kipling, a British author and poet, called "Captains Courageous". Much of the story takes place on a fishing schooner on the Grand Banks off Newfoundland. The copyright having been long expired, the book was available for download for free from the Apple iBooks store, which Brenda did. Well, I've finished that book and am now reading a book Brenda paid for. It's a historical novel called "Charleston". It turns out that we can both read the same book at the same time. Brenda is reading on her new Apple iPad which is synced with the iPoD Touch. In October, we have a get-together with other folks with Lazy Daze motorhomes near Charleston, SC.

We ran into some construction on the TCH (recall Trans-Canadian Highway) including lengthy stops. Brenda drove the rig when our direction started moving as I was "indisposed" in a little room in the back.

The ride in the Gros Bourne National Park is truly scenic. Going up and down on mountain roads without anything near by to block the view.

In Rocky Harbour, a town that's part of an occasional shoreline patch of land that's outside the park, we made arrangements for the boat tour of the park's Western Brook Pond for tomorrow. It was recommended to us more than once. There would be a 3 km walk to the tour boat dock from the parking lot. The posted picture was taken on the boat tour.

We camped at the national park's Berry Hill campground, off the grid which is the only choice. At $25.50 CDN, it was expensive especial on top of a park day pass of ~$9/head.

After we set up camp, we hiked around Berry Hill Pond. It was supposed to be only a 2 km trail, but did not apparently include the trail to the loop. The walk wore out the dog who had to be carried some of the way.

Odometer reads 67,811.

No comments:

Post a Comment